Friday, July 9, 2010

Whirlygig Christmas Blocks


Is it too early to start thinking about Christmas in the sweltering heat of July? Well, I've done just that this week, as I've started to get things spinning on my whirlygig Christmas quilt.

I have about one-third of the blocks done for this quilt. After reading several tutorials on how to make these, I went with an excellent one by Penny at Sew Take a Hike that needs no template. I modified it to make a slightly bigger angle with the cut, and I'm orienting the whirly blades with the wide ends to the outside of the block.



I love the movement of this block. With this cute retro holiday fabric, I'm thinking of fresh snow swirling in the blustery air and ice skaters playing crack the whip! It's The Twelve Joys of Christmas, by Sheri Berry.

These blocks go together fast once the cutting is done. Easy chain-piecing!

That's my Sew & Tell for this week. Thanks for visiting, and have fun skating around to the other participants linked at amylouwho! Stay cool!

19 comments:

GaAm said...

Awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Jeanne said...

How could you not stay cool with those darling Christmas prints. It is good to start early though. It would take me several Christmas seasons to complete a quilt. Sigh. This will be darling.

Hugs, Jeanne

Michelle said...

Awesome blocks and such cute fabric! I'm eager to see the completed quilt.

Carla said...

I have also started on Christmas gifts. I learned my lesson from last year. I love the fabrics you are using... they are so adorable! I've been meaning to try this pattern out.

Larri said...

I'm impressed and feeling woeful I haven't started any Christmas projects :o) They whirlygigs are simply fabulous! Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

QuilterMary said...

For those us who like to do "handmade" at Christmas ... July is NOT too early. That's going to be a very pretty quilt!

Nima said...

wow...gorgeous fabrics...can't wait to see the finished quilt

Anonymous said...

I love that design! You're off to a great start. Have a great weekend!

Andrea said...

I love the designs,they are gorgeous. Well done on starting the christmas stuff. I too am working towards christmas.Happy (july) christmas!!I would love if you would link to my lush friday sometime. Thanks Andrea

Leslie said...

this fabric is adorable. i love it....the whirlygigs are going to be so fun.

Miri said...

What a fun Christmas quilt! Really cute fabrics!

Quiltstory said...

Super cute fabrics! Love what you have going! We would love to feature one of your finished quilts on quiltstory. Let us know if you are interested!

Heather and Megan

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I love whirligigs! This will be such a fun quilt:)

cathysrunning said...

I think July is a great time to start thinking about Christmas! Your quilt is going to be amazing when it's all done! Please post pictures when it is all together. I started a quilt (my first one) with pieces of clothing my son wore during his first 2 years. I'm looking forward to finishing it, but I'm afraid is won't look as polished as yours! Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

Love your blocks. Its a great design.

Dayna said...

Very cute! Gotta love Penny! And Christmas in July!

Quiltpiecer said...

Ooooh! I'm lovin' this! Great fabric choices ... never too early for Christmas! Time flies and we have to make every minute count! Thanks for sharing the link to the pattern ... got to add this to my project list!

SueWis said...

That is the cutest fabric I've ever seen! I should get going on Christmas. . . . . . .

Tootsie said...

I wish I could sew...I can't follow a pattern to save my life. If I can wing it ...it is fine...but oh man...don't ask me to sew something that I have to wear!
in fact...I stapled my home ec project together in high school...my mom (a seamstress) was mortified!