Friday, September 10, 2010

Gathered Clutch - Take #1

It's been a busy work week for me, but I did get one thing accomplished in the sewing department.  Well, two, if you count basting my practice quilt together for the free-motion quilt along, cleaning and oiling my Juki, aka Jane, and practicing a little FMQ to make sure the settings are okay.  Maybe that's two, three, and four.

Anyway, this little gathered clutch came together the other night.  I used the by-now-famous Noodlehead tutorial, which was excellent.

I will do a little tweaking on subsequent clutches, having to do with a little less interfacing on the inside pockets to reduce bulk, shortening my zipper just a tad more, and taking a deeper seam on the lining so it fits inside smoothly. 

Since the Juki was all set up for FMQ, I used my 1960s Singer Touch & Sew, aka Tammy.  She hee-hawed and got a little stubborn about sewing through thick spots, but for the most part, she clippity-clopped right along.

I've got a few more of these planned.  I think they'll make great gifts come Christmastime.  (And yes, I need a new deck...next spring, hopefully!)

I'm linking to Sew & Tell Friday.  Thanks for visiting, and be sure to check out the other fun finishes over at Amylouwho

27 comments:

QuiltyBee said...

Great fabrics--I admire your patience with the zipper and lining. I always wish for a clutch, but then I choke when I think about some of the detail work (I think that's called lazy!). Nice work!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Love how you lined this one - I'm partial to music fabrics - and the blend of colors. Your shortened zipper looks great. I can never seem to get my zippers at the top of a bag to look as elegant. Thanks for the tip!

Aunt Spicy said...

I really like the gathers, and such great fabric combinations! (Visiting from Sew and Tell!)

Kera said...

Love this clutch! I can't wait to try it out myself!

kristie said...

cute clutch! they will make great gifts. i'm still too skitterish to attempt a zipper. oh, i didn't notice your deck what with all the clutch cuteness...so maybe if you just sprinkled a few of them all around there would be no need for a new deck ;-) (popped over from sew and tell)

Elizabeth said...

That clutch is really fabulous. You are such an artist with colors and fabric choices.

I love that all your machines have names. Tammy is fabulous for the Touch & Sew.

xo -E

Haylee said...

Beautiful job. Thanks for the tutorial.

Lauren said...

Great job. I made one a few months ago and my zipper looked hideous compared to yours! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job. I'm afraid of the zipper, but I admire everyone's projects. I just might have to tackle that tutorial and figure it out.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

This is great! I love the colors and you knocked that zipper out!

Leslie said...

this is beautiful...i love the fabrics you chose.

Jane said...

Very cute clutch...love the fabrics!!
Jane

Shay said...

But I cant sew zippers....wahhhhhhhh

This is so sweet and you are incredibly talented. I made a tote bag thingy once and when I turned it right side out the handles disappeared into the bag never to be seen again (I have no idea what I did ) I just sewed it shut and pretended the handles never existed.

Maybe I'll go look at the tutorial and gird my loins for another bag making attempt.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

This is so pretty, well done!

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous! I love the musical lining fabric.

Michelle said...

I love it! What great colors. Very cool fabric on the inside too. It looks perfect. :-)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely piece you created! I love the colors, choice of lining fabric and all the details

Ivory Spring said...

What a cute little clutch! :)

Good luck with your FM! - I have to warn you, it's addictive. :)

Sarah Craig said...

What a sweet clutch! I really need to try to make some of these. Love the colors!

Karen said...

Looks good. i was thinking the same thing for Christmas and putting a gift card inside.

Aunt Spicy said...

Such fun fabrics, and I adore the inside pockets!

Kara Forristall said...

Love these. Its my go-to gift. Great fabric combo!!!

Nina... said...

Very pretty. I love the sheet music interior. I have tried zippered clutches before and I get so frustrated with the final look of the zipper. Maybe I'll need to try the Noodlehead tutorial. Yours came out great!

Anonymous said...

How lovely! I'm amazed at how easily you seem to be able to throw things together like this.

Dayna said...

I love the sheet music fabric inside! What a perfect contrast! My daughter likes it, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi P. I love it. It must feel great to take some cloth and turn it into something so useful and pretty.

Carla said...

Your clutch came out so pretty! I am also hooked on making these beauties. I have calculated I'll need to make 5 as gifts this Christmas. Not including the ones I would like to make for myself.