Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Stitchin' Accomplished

I hope you had a great weekend.  It was pretty low-key here, nice and relaxing.  There was some stitching going on.

And shopping for stitched-looking things (Pyrex Town and Country divided dish, via Goodwill).


Plates of good food, plates of Pyrex (again, Goodwill).

There was entertainment, but not in the form of lighting things on fire, unless you include the grill.

We watched a wonderful movie on Saturday called Mao's Last Dancer.  Click the link to see the trailer.  I highly recommend spending a buck or two to rent it.  It's based on the true story of Li Cunxin, a boy from the poor Chinese countryside who was chosen to learn to dance ballet.

I finished the Sudoku quilt.  I was going to machine bind it, as usual, but it just didn't look right.  So I ripped out the 10 inches of machine stitching I had started and instead spent the next couple hours hand binding it while catching up on episodes of American Chopper, Sr. vs. Jr. (I liked PJD's Cadillac bike the best, by far).

I'll have more photos of the completed quilt in another post.  Here's a peak at part of the back.

Last night, I stumbled upon the fact that Incubus, one of my fave bands, has a new CD coming out in a week or so.  Here is a video of one of the new songs.  Brandon Boyd has such an amazing voice.  Love this.

7 comments:

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I can never get machine finished binding to look right. I'd much rather spend the time with needle and thread and be happy with how it looks. Glad you had some relaxing TV/movie time.

Shay said...

It's cruel to post teaser picks of a finished quilt...cant wait to see the rest!

More pyrex? really?

Sarah Craig said...

I've found it takes me longer to machine bind (with all the picking out and re-doing) than it does to hand stitch - so I yielded to the inevitable a long time ago! Love all your new Pyrex!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, love that new Incubus song! Really! Brandon's voice is really beautiful! Thanks for a little musical education. I'm going to investigate the band further. I probably know some of their songs already {I haven't been living under a rock} but not as such.

Also, super cute post title! Love it.

And the back of the Sudoku quilt looks really wonderful. You did a beautiful job with the quilting.

And I love the stitched design on the divided Pyrex dish!

Great post!

xo -E

MomWaldsPlace said...

I am sure your time hand binding was well worth it. Your Pyrex Plates are Freakin' Fabulous!

Sooo whatcha doin' after the Soduku Quilt? I know where there is a great veggie quilt that will need quilting.

MomWaldsPlace said...

ps. I love binding.

Michelle said...

Glad to see the Pyrex collecting is going as well as the quilting. :-)

Can't wait to listen to the Incubus song. (Other music playing in the house atm.)