Monday, August 18, 2014

It's Monday...It's Miscellany

Overheard at the Flea Market
 "See this hat?" said the woman in charge of the pie booth, pointing to her head, "We Amish and Mennonite do not lie."

I didn't catch what the customer had pressed her about, but I had to chuckle.  Gotta love that Anabaptist sense of humor.

We came home from the flea market with nothing more than a couple pounds of bison from a friendly farmer (who wore a baseball cap, in case you're wondering).

Grateful for the Growing Season
The friendly farmer in my family, a/k/a Dad, has had a good crop of kohlrabi this year.  I think it's my favorite vegetable.

If you've never tasted kohlrabi, it has a mild, cabbage-y flavor, and the texture is kind of like a radish.  I enjoy it peeled, sliced and eaten raw alongside a sandwich for lunch.

The beets have been doing well too.  My favorite way to eat those is in the chocolate beet cake recipe, which I shared last year.  Can you freeze beets, do you know?  I'm wondering if I could just grate and freeze them in Ziplock bags, like you do with zucchini.


Media Musings
We watched Locke starring Tom Hardy last weekend.  I liked it very much, despite its mixed reviews on Redbox.  If you love your action flicks, you may want to pass, but if, like me, you'd like nothing better than to stare at Tom Hardy for a couple hours, then by all means, see it.  I found it fascinating and compelling the whole way through, as the viewer comes along for the ride and eavesdrops on a man trying to keep a handle on various situations threatening to spin his life out of control.

I'm still working my way through the Outlander series of books (in the middle of book five, The Fiery Cross, at the moment), but have taken a short break to read something different.  

A Wilder Rose by Susan Albert is right up my alley.  I loved the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, but on discovering they were, in essence, ghost written/heavily edited by her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, I was curious about Rose.  Many years ago, I had read the biography of Rose Wilder Lane, A Ghost in the Little House, and then enjoyed one of Rose's novels, Free Land, after that.

I'm really enjoying A Wilder Rose.  It's been a terrific summer, weather wise, for grabbing some time to read every day out on the deck with my lunch.  I am savoring these days of sunshine and warmth and only wish I could soak it up and store it like a battery for those long winter months ahead...when the deck will look like this again, GAH!

(Okay, it is kinda pretty, I have to admit.  In pictures anyway.)

Palate cleanser/back to reality photos:

This little plant, whose name I forget, is doing well on my semi-shaded front porch.  And the barrel out front is a-blooming with some red and white star-like impatiens I tried this year.  

Note to self:  Forget about planting the begonia in the center of the barrel next year.  It got entirely swallowed up by the impatiens.

How is your summer winding down?  Are you grabbing the gusto of these last days before school and schedules?

5 comments:

Hazel said...

I enjoyed reading about your life, and wanted to say that I've never seen a kohlrabi much less eaten one!

Your flowers are lovely!

Unknown said...

I enjoy reading your blog and kohlrabi is by far my favorite vegetable. I grow it every summer. LOVE IT!! I have never frozen it and wondered what you do for that.

Sharon in CO

Paulette said...

Hi Sharon in CO,
I have never frozen kohlrabi, but it is apparently possible. See this: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/kohlrabi.html Now we know! I guess I should check that site about beets too.

Sew Much For Free Time said...

My mom always froze beets. She washed them, boiled them, dunked in ice water, then slipped the skins off. She sliced them and froze them in bags. When thawed, she cooked them in a pan with a little butter, salt and pepper. I loved them, growing up!

Shay said...

Sometimes the US seems like an exotic wonderland to us Aussies. Amish ladies, bison and kohlrabi are unheard of here .

You CAN freeze beets but they have to be cooked first . I had some beet chocolate cake a while back and it was fabulous.

And as for your winter snow picture , Im sorry you have to endure that but honestly its time you guys handed the freaking sun back to us. Im freezing my arse off down here !