Monday, May 11, 2015

Spring Things

I heard the doorbell ring before seven o'clock Saturday morning.  Twice.  Since I was still in bed and mostly asleep, I chalked the first ring up to an auditory hallucination.  It's called hypnagogia, and you've probably had it too.

One morning, clear as day, I heard my mother's voice.  This was a couple years after she had passed away.  You know what she said?  "Hey."  That's it.  I became instantly awake and my eyes flew open, expecting to see her standing there next to the bed.  That's how real it seemed.  But she wasn't there and I was sort of disappointed she didn't have more to say.  Not even "Hey, hand me my cigarettes," or "Hey, you're going to be late."  Just, "Hey."

Anyway, this isn't about that.  Back to reality, the doorbell had indeed rung, and it was my neighbor letting me know that the duck eggs had hatched!


I grabbed my camera and went to see for myself.  Sure enough, in front of the nest were 9 or 10 shells where Mama Mallard had apparently rolled the empty eggs out onto the grass after the ducklings hatched.


She was sitting on her nest, all fluffed up and hissing (sort of how I had felt a few minutes before).  I couldn't see any fuzzy babies or hear any peeps, but she was undoubtedly keeping her new brood warm and dry underneath her.

I went back in the house, figuring I'd check on her again in a little while.  I knew she wouldn't hang around long after the ducklings hatched.

One hour later, they were all gone!  They done r-u-n-n-o-f-t!


I had wanted to see them all waddling off with their mama, but it wasn't to be.  I even got in the car and drove around the neighborhood looking for them, but no luck.  Oh well, I'm glad they all seem to have made it out okay.


It's sure been a lovely spring so far.  This past week the lilacs and flowering trees bloomed, and the fragrance in the air is divine.


My daughter drove up for a visit on Mother's Day, which was so nice.  I always enjoy our time together.  She took me flower shopping to pick out whatever I liked.  We found a couple things to put into a pot for the deck.


Outside, the daffodils are looking good.  

Not to be outdone, the African violets are putting on a show inside as well.



I even enjoy seeing the 'shrooms after a rain.  So much beauty and fresh possibilities this time of year!



9 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Oh my gosh, we must have watched the same few minutes of HBO this weekend - because I laughed with my husband about R-U-N-N-O-F-T too!! Sorry you didn't get to see those sweet little ducklings before they done runnoft.....

Marei said...

So happy about the ducklings. You're flowers are looking beautiful....as are you and your daughter!

Laura said...

I've had auditory hallucinations too. When I had my first baby, I'd hear him crying when I was in the shower. I'd turn off the water, but no baby was crying.

Congrats on your duckling!

Kevin the Quilter said...

Glad Mrs. Duck was able to raise her ducklings this year. Sorry you missed them. I have heard voices of those who have left as well. It has been a source of comfort for me. Happy Mother's Day P!

Hazel said...

I was hard pressed to figure which lady in the photo is mother and which is daughter! The ducks, flowers and mushrooms are wonderful. So glad the hosts helped the duck with the delivery room necessities!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Another wonderful post. Spring is my favorite time of the year - possibilities DO abound!

Lara B. said...

Aww - glad the sweet ducklings hatched, but sorry that they done runnoft. You must be on very good terms with your neighbor, LOL.
You and Michelle look so pretty together and i am glad you had such a nice Mother's Day.
This time of year sure is glorious in our gardens.

Lara B. said...

PS. Remind me to tell you about the voice I heard once... I don't want everyone here to think I am cuckoo.

Shay said...

How disappointing that you didn't get to see Mama Ducks babies , but hopefully they're all safe and sound even if they did runnofft.

Please keep the Spring loveliness coming on your blog- it's decidedly dreary here and your pictures brightened my day !