Friday, July 31, 2015

Lucky Number 7

If my math is correct, this little quilt that I finished this week is the seventh kennel quilt for the veterinary surgery clinic.

Again, using recycled scrubs, the top is a low volume kind of thing, just squares, sort of a streak of lightning setting.  

Lightning is low volume, right?  Or at least until its sound reaches our ears, and then the thunder makes us sit up a little straighter.

And that happens on the back of this quilt, or, in the words of the rocker in the movie Spinal Tap, "This goes to 11."  The fabric for the back is thrifted.  Gotta love Goodwill!

I did some free-motion flowers and loops in the quilting.  Totally on a whim.  I had the needle down in the intersection of a block and started to make the first curve of a stipple when I changed my mind and went for a petal shape instead, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Kind of fun how it looks on the back down the center.  And I didn't even plan that!

My daughter, a CVT at the surgery clinic, directed me to a photo on Facebook yesterday of one of my kennel quilts in use under a snoozing patient.  Aw, doesn't that just melt your heart?

I hope Roscoe had sweet dreams and a speedy recovery!

Linking to:  Can I Get a Whoop-Whoop.

10 comments:

Heidi said...

Love the upcycled scrubs idea, and yes, Roscoe melts my heart:)

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful quilt all around. Good for you to recycle fabric, good to play with machine quilting, good for the resting puppy. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Aww. I love the idea of kennel quilts. And I also love that you use old scrubs.

What a great project. I believe that animals are extremely intuitive, I know that they'll be able to pick up on the love that was put into these quilts!

Larri said...

I think I love the back of the quilt even more than the front!
Great idea to use the scrubs. I see those at the thrift store all the time. Hmmm...might have to snag some & make some quilts for our local kennel, too.
Happy Sewing, P!

Gina Loomis said...

I love it & the idea of recycled scrubs! It's really nice! I know the clinic must really appreciate your kennel quilt gifts! Roscoe is a cutie!

Sarah Craig said...

Whoop whoop, P.! I love the photo of one of your quilts in use - so sweet!!

Elizabeth said...

P., your quilting is awesome! Seriously! I love it. This quilt is so sweet and I love that you're repurposing and donating to such a worthy cause. Well done! I love the photo of one of your quilts in action, too!

xo -E

Barb Neiwert said...

Aw, that photo makes it all worthwhile, eh? I'm thinking I should contact our local animal shelter to see about making up bedding for their residents. I have tons of scrap batting that could be used. Keep up your good works!

Leslie Creech said...

Awwww, Roscoe is adorable! The little kennel quilts are great too.

Shay said...

As if the thought of doing good deeds for our furry friends isnt enough to spur you on - that picture is adorable.

Another fabulous finish !