Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Oh Brooklyn Brooklyn Take Me In

I missed yesterday in the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge.  It was a busy day, work-wise, and besides that, my thoughts were preoccupied by other things.

My daughter's cat had major surgery yesterday on his ears to treat a bad infection, and I was anxious to hear how it went.  In the late evening, I finally got word.

The surgery itself seemed to go well, but he developed breathing problems afterwards and actually coded.  He was resuscitated with CPR and whatnot, but in order to breathe, because of postsurgical complications, he needed an emergency tracheostomy.  Hopefully, this will allow the complications to resolve in a week or so.  Meanwhile, he's got drains on either side of his neck from his ear surgery, as well as the trach, and everything has to be kept clear. 

My daughter says he's been sleeping a lot today and will have to spend another night in kitty hospital.  I hope he's got one of my kennel quilts under him.


His name is Brooklyn, but we've always called him Keaky.  I have no idea why.

Adoption Day 2006
My daughter adopted him from the local humane society in 2006.  He has such a friendly personality.  I've always thought him more like a dog than a cat, as far as liking people.  He runs up to greet you when you come in the door and then does this thing where he paws at your shoes, as if to say, "Take them off and stay a while, please, so you can pet me."

For some strange reason, he never riled up my usually severe cat allergy.  In fact, when I noticed that I didn't sneeze and break out in an itchy rash around him, I had myself allergy tested to see if maybe I didn't have a cat allergy anymore.  Because then I would get myself a cat!

Unfortunately, testing showed I'm still quite allergic to cats, dang it.

We are hoping for a complete recovery for Keaky and a resolution of his complications.  The next few days will be critical.

*If you're wondering about the post title, it's from the song "I and Love and You," by The Avett Brothers.


4 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sending all good wishes!!

Lara B. said...

That sounds like a harrowing ordeal. Poor kitty. I hope Keaky gets back to his regular old shoe patting self very soon! He sounds like a great cat.
Paulette, just in case your yearning for a kitty of your own gets too strong to resist: Some cats produce less irritating dander than others. Some breeds are even considered "hypo-allergenic" - a misnomer for low allergy. The Balinese and the Siberian come to mind. Because they have less of the Fel D1 protein in their saliva and shed skin cells, they often make great cats for allergy sufferers. It's possible to still go the adoption route evenwith purebred cats by going through breed specific rescue organizations.

Sarah Craig said...

Poor Keaky! I sure hope he's doing better now....

Kaja said...

Blimey - what an ordeal for both poor Keaky and the rest of you.