Sunday, December 13, 2015

Sunday Sundry 12-13-15

Checking in on the Challenge
Are you doing the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge?  How's it going for you so far?

One thing I've noticed is that if I work on a post late at night, say between 10:00 and midnight, I tend to get a second wind.  

Great for writing.  Bad for sleeping.  

Once I get that second wind, I am wired and then have trouble downshifting and relaxing my mind into sleep mode.   Many years ago, I got an entire family history book written that way, taking full advantage of my second wind and working well into the wee hours.  I was a lot younger then.

Looking back, I've probably created the majority of blog posts during the late night.  It's quiet and there are no distractions, the work day is (usually) done, and I feel like I have time to bring together a post.  But I'm not someone who can bang something up in 15 minutes.  I've got to think about it and play with it a while.  Time passes...one hour...90 minutes... 

For about the past year, though, my late night routine has changed to involve winding down with yoga, stretching and breathing and laughing along to a few minutes of late night TV.  It's a nice stress reliever at the end of the day, and I look forward to it.
So, that said, I've got to figure something else out there.  I value and enjoy my bedtime routine and a good night's sleep, especially at this point in life when it seems many things are vying for the chance to interfere with it. 

On Loan
I visited my sister today and helped her with getting her Christmas tree up.  It still needs lights and ornaments, but it is up.  We got sidetracked several times during the process, in a good way.


She had asked if I'd bring her some mini-quilts or wall hangings to display at her house.  

She recently moved and is decorating her walls, as well as her halls.  

So I brought her a few to choose from, namely those you see here.  Some older, some newer.


I thought she'd pick one or two, but she wants to put them all up.  I am honored.

Guess I'll just have to make more!

5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am all for a good night's sleep ... I cannot be online late or my brain does exactly like the cartoon character's...

Kaja said...

My youngest son told me very sternly that I should stop looking at my computer before bed: apparently something about the light they generate gets our brain waves all excited and actually wakes us up more. I tried cutting it out and definitely get to sleep faster.

Lara B. said...

I think I will take yours and Kaja's advice and make this my last blog stop for the night.... maybe? It's so hard to stop visiting fun blogs!
Your sister is a woman of great discernment and good taste Paulette. :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are fantastic! I especially like that flying geese one ;-)

Jean Tuthill said...

They are all beautiful. No wonder she had a hard time choosing and then decided to take them all! Happy New Year. May 2016 bring you peace, joy, and much happiness!