Thursday, December 31, 2015

Turning the Page

I experimented with background fabric possibilities for the Joy in the Morning quilt, which is looking more like it will be Joy in the Evening.  The pattern in the book has the brights against a sunny yellow background.  I'm going to go the other way.  I'm kind of a night owl anyway.



First I tried scrappy dark blues and greens, above.  By the way, this is just a portion of the quilt as fit on my small design board.  Just trying to get an idea of what might work.

Of course, I was hoping to use what I had on hand, but wasn't going to rule out a trip to the fabric store if need be.

Didn't have enough of this paisley blender, but I liked it.  Of course it's out of stock now, so...hmm.

The only black I had enough yardage of was this one, but the gray swirl really jumped out in the photo.  Ix-nay on that one.

So a trip to the store was in order this morning, and of course I couldn't decide so I bought a couple options.  They're in the washer right now.  Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Today is Norm's last day of work, after 30 years of making cheese.  One hour from now, he's officially retired!

Hope you all have a very Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Lara B. said...

Whoot Whoot! Happy retirement Norm! And Happy New Year too! What fun things do you both have planned?

Lesley Gilbert said...

I liked 2 and 3 a lot more than 1 - Happy New Year 2016 :)

Sarah Craig said...

Can't wait to see what you finally choose - I like the idea of a dark background to set off those pretty brights, though! And congratulations to Norm, enjoy retirement!!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Congratulations to Norm. Frank has 2 years and he will be able to make the decision. I always thought he would never retire, now I am thinking he just might do it

Marei said...

Happy Retirement to Norm. Monday is going to be pretty strange for him. And, really! I want my scraps back...after you've made the quilt will be fine.