Thursday, February 11, 2016

What is That Thing?


Man, you guys, I've been on a feeding frenzy lately.  I want to eat all day long, and that's not good.

Oh, I probably know why, or at least have some reliable theories, not that it matters.  Usually it's because I've gotten in the habit of eating more carbs than I really need, which messes with my blood sugar.  And then those carbs want more and more carbs to keep them company.  Needy, greedy little buggers.

Maybe the carb sitch would be okay but I'm not exercising enough to burn the carbs.  Maybe I'm stress eating.  Maybe it's a pre-lady time thing, but that's kind of funny because that's in the realm of the great unknown these days.  Or maybe I've finally passed into the post-lady-time phase and this is how it's going to be.  I am going to want to eat all the time and wear nothing but elastic waist pants.

And yes, there's a part of me that says, What's wrong with that?

*Sigh*

So I find myself wishing I could just eat one more thing, one last thing.  The ONE THING that would stop the cravings and make me not want to eat anymore.  Something to just flip the switch, hit the reset button.

WHAT IS THAT THING?

I ask myself as I stare into the refrigerator and pantry.  Is it protein?  Eggs?  Bacon?  Chicken, salmon, steak?  More salads and greens?  Fruit?  Something fatty?  Yes, please.  Yes, yes, yes.  All of it.

It certainly can't be cookies, tortilla chips, nuts, popcorn, brownies, chocolate, more chocolate, peanut butter, and did I mention chocolate?  Because I've tried all those.  And yum.

Look, I know this sounds ridiculous.  As if the key to solving a food issue is more food.  Crazier still, ONE food.

But wouldn't it be awesome if it were?  And the ONE THING was easy to find, and everyone could just go to the store and buy the ONE THING that would cure their cravings.  Or just drive out to the ONE THING orchard, where ONE THINGS are always in season, and pick a big ole fresh, juicy, tasty, mouthwatering, satisfying THING.

Ah, it's nice to dream.

More likely, realistically, it's not a ONE but NONE.  As in just stop it already.  Maybe do a short fast (ugh...), and then go back to more sensible eating. Maybe do a Whole 30.

Ha ha!  Now I'm really dreaming. 

Well, at least while I was writing this, I wasn't eating.  Now if only the way to the treadmill didn't take me through the kitchen.

5 comments:

moosecraft said...

Cute post! I've had those "munchie" days and wondered what would "cure" it too! :-) From necessity (and medical reasons) I had to be on a high protein, low sugar, low carb diet for about 3 months. From this experience I can say that this way of eating definitely curbs cravings, evens moods and adds energy.... and now, that I have "permission" from my doctor to eat whatever I feel like eating? Well... let's just say I've acquired a preference to eating healthier.... and high sugar items just don't appeal to my taste buds any longer.... though I do enjoy some carbs with a good hunk of bread (or slice of pizza) every once in awhile! :-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

I tend to search for crunchy, crispy, salty, sweet, smooth, or thick -- not sure why. That said, I'm working to limit the high sugar foods and THAT is helping level my moods. Good luck with your search - keep us posted!!

Marei said...

My Mom always said...."why don't I just eat the peanut butter first because that's what's going to satisfy me"...and she was usually right. Maybe it was because she couldn't eat another thing without getting sick, but most likely it was because PNut butter has the protein, the fat, the sugar & the salt to meet all you mouthy desires. For me it continues to be the ONE THING that puts an end to cravings.

Lara B. said...

Darn! Now i'm thinking about that One thing I could eat! LOL
Too funny Paulette!

Kaja said...

Chilli - that's what I'm always looking for. It's an addiction, I know, but I don't smoke, hardly drink, and am kind to small animals so what the heck? Good luck finding your one food: alternatively put down that biscuit and head for the treadmill. :-)